History of Our University
Our university is one of the youngest in Ukraine. It occupies the geographic location where Mykolaiv port craft school was formed by the Decree of the Emperor in 1862. Since those times there have been educational institutions of various types.
Renaissance of Petro Mohyla University is the Renaissance of Ukrainian culture. On October 15, 1615 Kyiv noble Halshka Hulevychivna presented to the Ukrainian brotherhood her mansion in Podil, Kyiv to found a monastery, a hospital and a school. Since then this date has been celebrated as the day when Kyiv-Mohyla Academy was established.
Kyiv-Mohyla Academy, the first university in Eastern Europe, was founded by St. Peter Mohyla, a prominent figure of the Orthodox Church and reformer of education. Petro Mohyla (1596-1647) was a prominent religious, cultural and educational activist, one of the founders of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy. At the Renaissance time he formed the citizenship status of national languages, cared about education equal to the European level. Petro Mohyla’s educational activity was aimed at raising national consciousness.
The educational institution received the Status of Academy in 1658. Since that time it has brought up many prominent figures of Ukrainian science, culture and religion.
Subsequently in 1817 by the decision of the Holy Synod of the Russian Empire Kyiv-Mohyla Academy was closed. In 1819 Kyiv Theological Academy was opened at the University, which was functioning till 1918. It was not until September 19, 1991 that the Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine signed instruction “On the revival of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy on its historical territory as the University of”Kyiv-Mohyla Academy”(UKMA)”
The official opening of the University of “Kyiv-Mohyla Academy” took place on 24 August, 1992. The academy was restored as a secular educational institution and became a symbol of rebirth of Ukraine’s independence.
In 1994 the university acquired the national status. Patron of the National University “Kyiv-Mohyla Academy” is the President of Ukraine. In the early years of re-opening the main University in Kiev, we saw that it is possible to create a Ukrainian university which is open to the achievements of Western education. We continue to follow this tradition.
Revival of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy in 1992 sowed hope among patriotic citizens of Ukraine on the establishment of higher educational institutions of a new type. The first years of the university demonstrated convincingly that Ukraine can rapidly create a school that combines the best features of higher education of the Soviet times and achievements of leading Western countries. The model of “Kyiv-Mohyla Academy” has become a reference point for the creation of new schools in the regions.
On October 23, 1995 the representatives of local authorities, institutions, media and organizers had a meeting in the building of Mykolaiv current branch. All the participants supported the idea of establishment of a new higher education institution in Mykolaiv. Its concept was prepared by Professor S.M. Solovyov.
The work started with the development of the normative base. The business-plan was accomplished by O. P. Meshchaninov, marketing strategies by G. L. Nord, technological and financial calculations by M. M. Chorniy. All the work was done on a volunteer base. V. V. Dragomirov, V. M. Bandura, Y. A. Batrack, Y. Y. Verlanov and O. M. Trunov joined the team in January-March.
On January 17, 1996 the Academic Council of NaUKMA considered the question of a new university branch in Mykolayiv. L. P. Klimenko, O. P. Meshchaninov and V. V. Dragomirov were presenting the project. The Academic Council unanimously approved the business-plan for the creation of the new branch and its statutes. In accordance with the resolution of the Academic Council the president of NaUKMA issued the order dated from 17 January, 1996 concerning the foundation of the branch and appointed L. P. Klimenko to the position of a rector. On March 31 the executive committee officially registered the new university.
The licensing process was launched and all the necessary documentation was prepared to make possible the foundation of the new branch approved by the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. The deans of faculties Y. A. Batrack, Y. Y. Verlanov and V. V. Dobrowolskiy did a lot of work. V. M Emelyanov provided greater assistance in licensing and the adoption of resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. On June 13, 1996 the State Attestation Committee made a decision to issue licenses for Economics, Computer Sciences and Environmental Science to Mykolaiv branch of NaUKMA for 175 students.
On July 3, 1996 the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine enacted order № 712 concerning the foundation of Mykolaiv branch of NaUKMA, Mykolayiv Collegiumn NaUKMA and the development of the regional program “Mykolaiv Educational National and Cultural Complex”. The process of organizational establishment of the branch was finished. Entry testing began on July 14.
Inauguration of Mykolaiv branch took place on August 30. Mykolaiv Ukrainian Drama and Musical Comedy Theatre developed a special program for the student initiation. The director of the theatre M. Berson and the main producer O. Ignatiev personally took part in the play.
During 1996-1998 the university succeeded in the creation of conditions for educational process. The rooms were renovated, the heating systems began to function, the furniture for the offices and lecture-rooms was bought, as well as textbooks and study guides. The physics, chemistry, ecology and electrical technology laboratories were installed.
The gym was repaired. Three computer classes were provided with state-of-the-art equipment. All the computers were networked and connected to the Internet. Printing equipment was purchased, editorial and publishing department was created.
In 2000 the first bachelors of such specialties graduated:
* Intellectual Systems of Decision-Making
* Environmental Science
* Political Sciences
This made it possible to obtain accreditation of these specialties at the bachelor level. In 2001 the first specialists graduated and the branch received accreditation of these specialties at the specialist level.
On March 13, 2002 Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine issued order 112-р 13.03.02 “About creation of State Petro Mohyla Humanities University” of the complex of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy, which was followed by the creation of educational and scientific complex “Kyiv-Mohyla Academy” with the contract between the president of NaUKMA S. Brukhovetskii and the rector of State Petro Mohyla Humanities University L. Klymenko and the statute “Terms and conditions of educational and scientific complex “Kyiv-Mohyla Academy”.
More teachers and students arrived to the University. Among them there were not only representatives of the Black Sea region, but almost all regions of Ukraine and Kyiv. Foreign students began to study here, departments were headed by professors and doctors of sciences. The university opened its own Institutes, scientific schools and centers, specialized academic councils for the defense of dissertations. The university began to outgrow itself in the pace and scale of development. In fact the university became multidisciplinary. Every year at Humanities University Doctors of Technical Sciences began to receive patents. Besides particularly humanitarian specialties MSHU expanded bachelors and masters programs in Law, Finance, Environmental Protection and Sustainability, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Instrument Engineering. Thus, quite logical became the proposal of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, agreed with the Regional State Administration, to change the status of Petro Mohyla State Humanities University in Mykolaiv.
On December 10, 2008 Petro Mohyla State Humanities University in Mykolaiv was reorganized into Petro Mohyla Black Sea State University by order № 1521-р of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine.
To provide education that meets international standards the University maintains regular and strong contacts with various international organizations and foreign universities. Petro Mohyla Black Sea National University invites leading foreign scholars to give lectures, hold seminars and various workshops, as well as expands the practice of our students and teachers studying abroad.
The Students’ Board aims at organizing the daily life of the students, their spare-time activities and helping them solve conflict situations.
The research work at the university is based on our national experience, including Petro Mohyla’s philosophical concept, which is expressed in the natural combination of scientific and educational activities. Scientific researches are carried out according to the program approved by the Academic Council and Rector.
Despite the young age of our university it has become one of the most influential institutions in the southern region. It is the only university of classical type in the South of Ukraine, which combines western educational technologies with national traditions (Liberal Arts Education). We try to involve new educational technologies and principles of university education.